Thursday, September 22, 2011

Reminder to check out "My Fellow American," an anti-Islamophobic website

    With the 10-year anniversary of 9/11 and everything it entails fresh in our minds, I wanted to remind everyone to check out the compelling website My Fellow American, which I blogged about in June, and which strongly enforces one of the chief goals of my novel: countering Islamophobia.
     As a refresher on the site's nature, My Fellow American allows visitors to contribute video testimonials challenging negative stereotypes about Muslims. The library is both diverse and compelling, articulating an agenda that in my estimation can't ever be stressed enough.
     One particular video that moved me this second time around features a young Mennonite discussing his interest in facilitating dialogue with the Muslims in his community. His motivation to better understand the faith includes experimental fasting during the month of Ramadan:

Inspiration from a Mennonite Journal


    
     My Fellow American also features a short video teaser, which, as stressed in my last post, is a much-needed reminder of just how much hideousness has been voiced regarding the Muslim faith and its followers:



My Fellow American



No comments:

Post a Comment