Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dominique Strauss-Kahn can't silence the survivors

    Though I'm not religious, I couldn't help swooning over the thought that yesterday's earthquake might have bespoken some cosmic anger over the outcome of the criminal case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn.
    Luckily, I didn't have to bring God into the equation to enjoy this gem of a video: the earthquake's pulverization of Manhattan D.A. Cy Vance's nauseating press conference on his rationale for dropping the charges.
    It was almost enough to provide momentary solace.
    Almost, but not quite.
    For now, I'll avoid discussion of the enormity of yesterday's travesty, as there are no doubt many others hosting such conversations at this moment. Instead, I'll add my voice to what I can only hope is a surging chorus in support of assault victims worldwide. No outcome of this case would be grimmer than the dissuasion of survivors from bringing their abusers to trial.
   The stigma, the inhibited access to proper legal representation, the misogynistic leanings of a plurality of America's judges . . . all have conspired to not only thwart the attempts of assault victims to successfully prosecute their abusers, but have discouraged a mast majority from even trying.
   To any and all survivors who might be reading this, I, for one, stand fully behind you. You have as much a right to justice as you have to existence.
   And yes, Ms. Diallo: that includes you too.



No comments:

Post a Comment